Friday, November 11, 2005

New Short Fiction

As editor of a literary journal I see that the face of short Fiction is shrinking: 2000 words or less, Flash Fiction, short short Fiction, Micro Fiction. What is next? Short Fiction Sentence Contests?

Is this good for Fiction? I do not know, new is good, but short is short. Is it enough?

Well, I confess, I have been lured in by the tight structure - the need for succinct description and movement. Hell it's easier and it is harder, but is it good?

Post your thoughts.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fiction is getting too short. There are no more real plots and character building

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tooo Short. Like this post

4:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah its good...for writers anyway. It's perfect for a writing contest or people just starting out. The only problem is the readers get the shaft. I get satisfaction from telling my story (they are mostly short and to the point), but non-writers who read them are left wanting more.

Perhaps the should be a readers corner somewhere around here. For those who could care less about writing but would like to read a damn good (long) story. In the readers corner, stories should a MINIMUM of say 5000 words.

I dunno. It's a thought.

1:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home